Sunday, November 27, 2011

A fork in the road...

I never thought for one second that I would even consider declining an offer to grad school, especially without a backup plan in place, but here I am, struggling with the possibility. A school in New York has offered me a position in their DPT program. After the party balloons and confetti fell to the ground after that news, I was left with a decision I would really rather not make.

You see, the real snag here is that this school in New York has given me only 4 weeks to decide if I want to go there or not. That decision, coupled with a check for $1,000 they are asking for, has left me feeling rather ill about the whole situation. New York is kind of far away. It probably would be a cool place to be for a little bit, but it is far away. And it's expensive. It would probably amount to about 20k or more in debt above what most other schools would cost me. Did I mention New York is kinda far away? I'm a homebody....

Another thing that is slowing me from throwing a grand at this school was the absolutely amazing interview I had at another school in Pittsburgh. The actual interview part went well I thought, but everything about the school just really felt right to me. It seemed like a place that was a really good fit for me, and I could totally see myself being a part of that program. The city and the school were both great. I think that the interview went well, but who is to say that I was one of the top 36 people they want for their school? I had a good feeling, but I'm not sure it was good enough to not accept the offer to the school in NY. I can always rescind my offer, but then I'm out $1,000. Probably not a huge deal in the long run, but a big enough deal to put me in this predicament.

I still have 5 or 6 schools that have not contacted me yet, so there is still quite a bit of hope that I could get into somewhere else, but the 3 rejection letters I got also drag a little bit of that hope away. The school I was accepted into in NY has a larger class size (70 people) and a slighter lower minimum GPA, sooo...I don't know. Just a lot of things to think about. I never thought being accepted into grad school could be so stressful!

My solution for now: Call the Pittsburgh school tomorrow and see if they are willing to give me an expedited answer. That would really ease my mind. So, for anyone who is still reading: I could use some advice as to what I should do. Or maybe, you just have an extra G lying around you could donate? :) Either way, I appreciate the responses and readers!

Peace.

5 comments:

  1. Dearest Tedly,

    Sorry this is stressing you out. I know how this feels. Your solution sounds like a good one. Call Pittsburgh and tell them the situation. Mention you have a deadline for another school and would like to hear back from them before making a decision. They might not expedite your answer, but it is worth a try. Either way, I would start saving up for when you do commit to a school. The majority of grad schools will require a small fortune to hold your spot. I sold my future first born child to BU for the admission fee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beth! I really wouldn't mind paying the money if I knew I was going there, but the thought of giving away 1,000 bucks is too much for me to handle! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes, definitely a tough situation! I agree on calling Pittsburgh. Many students go through issues with deadlines so this won't be a new situation for them. It would also let them know how interested and serious you are about them. You could also try contacting NY to see if they will extend their deadline so that you can make a fully informed decision. It may not work but I know that my department has done it in the part.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the response, thebooksnthelooks! I actually have just received answers on both of your suggestions. The school in NY has extended my deadline by a week and a half, and the Pittsburgh school has told me they can have my decision by Friday! Things are moving fast. I appreciate you checking out my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats, that's great news! Hope you get accepted to Pittsburgh!

    ReplyDelete