Thursday, January 26, 2012

Stuck in the Roundabout

Applying to and getting accepted into grad school is no easy feat. Trust me, I've been through the torture these past few months. I can flat out say I don't have the best GPA in the pool. Why should I worry though? All I hear are the constant drone of "colleges want a 'well-rounded' student," always ending with the dreadful tagline, "You'll be fine. You have nothing to worry about." Let me be the first to say: shenanigans.

Maybe it's not every school. Maybe it's not every major. Heck, maybe it's just me and I'm not quite as well-rounded as I think I am. I've applied to twelve schools. TWELVE! (Soon to be 14, but who's counting.) Out of those 12 schools, I have been accepted to one. ONE! What does that mean for me, and, more importantly, the poor undergrads as a whole: Maybe being well-rounded isn't the most important. I think it's a factor, don't get me wrong, but it seems there are other factors at play here that I just missed the boat on.

As mentioned earlier, my GPA could definitely be improved. Especially after PTCAS averaged out my retakes. "Don't worry!" they told me. My GRE scores are pretty competitive, and you'd be hard-pressed to find someone more involved than me. (Ok, I'm not the most involved, but my campus involvement is pretty impressive). I do the volunteer work. I had the observation. What is my downfall? GPA! My poor, pitiful GPA gets me rejected to all the schools I had hoped to be accepted into.

So, my word to the wise: Keep your GPA up! Do good on your GRE! After that, your stuff is icing on the cake. Yes, get involved. No, don't be a social outcast, but find that balance. Don't let your GPA suffer because you want to be in 15 different student organizations. At the end of the day, school's will be judging you on that GPA. Maybe not all programs. Maybe not all schools, but it seems to be a common theme in the medical/health field.

Feel free to debate this with me. I'd really like to hear your experiences and some proof for the other side!

In other news, I have sent my application in for the University of North Dakota Physical Therapy program. They don't use the PTCAS system, so my GPA will be much higher, and I will be facing less applicants! Fingers crossed!

1 comment:

  1. Things have a curious way of working themselves out, maybe not in the near future but in the long run. Unfortunately much of what we are told is how things "should" be not how they actually are. I've never met anyone quite so passionate about what they intend to do as I have in you, things will come. In due time, I think as a culture we rush too much. Enjoy these years, strife and all!

    ReplyDelete